Saturday 7 April 2012

Fighting female foeticide

Ishita Uppal, a student of class X is raising awareness on the need to stop female foeticide.Aaditi Isaac reports 

Ishita Uppal, a student of class X, Little FlowerConvent School, Panchkula, Haryana, has taken upon herself the responsibility to raise awareness on the issue of female foeticide by meeting young students and making them take a pledge to help stop the practice. 

"I was 10 years old when I first read about female foeticide. I couldn't understand what it was; so I asked my father to explain what it meant. I researched on the internet, saw the statistics and decided to do something about it," says Ishita. 

In a span of three years, Ishita inspired 60,000 people to take an oath against the practice. Her efforts were rewarded when in November 2009 she set out on an expedition in seven districts of Haryana and one district of Punjab to deliver lectures on female foeticide and plant trees. 

"The skewed sex ratio is a cause for concern. In certain areas in Bihar, for example, one woman is married to two men. Development of our nation has to include the development of women. We have to save the girl child and not look at her as a burden on the family. In order to change the mindset of youngsters, I make them take a pledge against female foeticide and talk to them about treating women with dignity. I conduct road shows and lectures on the importance of stopping the practice of female foeticide. College students also call me to be a part of their initiatives aimed at the welfare of the girl child," she adds. 

In 2009, the Chandigarh administration declared her Haryana's ambassador to lead the mission against female foeticide and global warming. 

Did she face opposition from her family? "My parents always encouraged me. When I was out on the expedition and missed school, I would take extra classes to cover what I missed," she says. 

Ishita wants to become an IAS officer and contribute to the country. She is a finalist at the Pramerica Spirit of Community Awards 2012, which recognises students for their efforts in serving others through community service.
source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/Fighting-female-foeticide/articleshow/12500044.cms


(We should also contribute to stop this cruel practice by doing something.. WAKE UP FRIENDS..!! )

No comments:

Post a Comment